Thursday, May 22, 2008

Synaptic Scrolling Problem

- GSynaptics couldn't initialize. You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics -


Is any one there who got this error message when trying to configure your touchpad using gsynaptics? "Yeh I had that message"... I installed Debian lenny by saying "See you later" for my neat, one year and three months old Ubuntu installation. after completing the installation my touchpad's scrolling feature was not working. I googled for a solutoin and found several tips and tricks to overcome this, but didn't help, so had to read up a bit about it and found a way to get it working.

Even though it says "set 'SHMConfig' 'true', it did not work. Then I add the server layout and second InputDevice to the xorg.conf.

Here's what I did to over come the issue.

added this section to the xorg.conf

# vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf


Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection


Then I add the following lines to the bottom of xorg.conf to specify the server layout. I did not have any of the parameters for server layout, so I added all the sections to it.


Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection


After doing this I restarted the Xserver (Alt+CTRL+Backspace). Scroll works fine! but I still get that error message when I try to run gsynaptics. :-) But for now I'm not going to worry about the gsynaptic, but will have a look at it later.

No comments: